The Arcachon town discovery in 4 seasons
- The Winter Town, historical district with its elegant XIX Century villas. Self guide visit on foot or accompanied by the Tourist Information Office.
- The Summer Town combines sea front, jetties and an animated town heart all year long (including a covert market)
- The Autumn Town shelters the Arcachon harbour, the Aiguillon district and the fish outcry market (can be attended)
- The Spring Town located in the Sainte-Anne des Abatilles spring area lined by the large Pereire beach and walking promenades.
Climb the Pilat Dune (La Teste de Buch)
You will enjoy an exceptional point of view on the Arcachon Bay, the Cap Ferret tip and the Arguin Bank. The highest dune in Europe: 106 m high. (direct dial: +33 5 56 22 12 85).
The oyster-farming villages on the Lège-Cap Ferret peninsula
By bicycle for a stroll through the fishing district with a stop at the Cap Ferret lighthouse or through the oyster-farming villages of L’Herbe and Canon...
Enjoy the oysters from our villages
Tour the Ile aux Oiseaux (Island of Birds)
- This is where you will see the famous cabanes thanquées (stilted cabins)! Because it can go everywhere, the sea kayak is the best way to get a close-up view.
- Or board a boat tour from the jetties at Belisaire, Canon or Grand Piquey (in Lège-Cap Ferret).
The Ornithological Reserve of Le Teich
- A 2.5 or 6 km walking trail, dotted with observation huts. Independent or guided visits during the day or at twilight. €7/child, €9,20/adult (direct dial: +33 5 24 73 37 33).
The River Leyre and its delta (Le Teich, Biganos and Mios)
Discover on foot, bicycle, or canoe-kayak. Also by boat, along the ports of Biganos, or by stand up paddle or license-free electric boat form the port of Le Teich.
We invite you to discover the nature areas with those who take care of them!
At dawn: participate at the fish market
Mondays and Thursdays from 6:30 to 8:15 with a guide at the Arcachon fishing port (by registration +33 5 57 52 97 97).
Embark with fishermen and oyster farmers on board their boats
Departure according to the tides. Book directly with authorized sea personnel: a list is available at the Maison de l'Huître museum (Larros port, Gujan-Mestras) or in the Bay's various Tourist Offices or online (link above). €45/person.
Live my live as an oyster farmer or fisherman on the Bay!
Browse the Bassin on foot or by bicycle
- In addition to guided walking tours offered by Tourist Offices, you can get the guidebook "Le Tour du Bassin à pied" (Bay walking tour guide, 8€) to discover GR (Grandes Randonnées) walking routes.
- This tour of the Bay partly follows the coastal path, the Saint-Jacques-de-Compostelle path, the oyster-farming ports and other remarkable sites...
- Discover the Bay's towns thanks to a network of more than 220 km of cycling paths.
Take the plunge
- More than 40 km of beaches on the open ocean (Grand Crohot in Lège-Cap Ferret, La Salie in La Teste de Buch...). Ideal for challenging the waves!
- At the Bay's beach fronts during high tide or in tranquillity at Lake Cazaux.
- In Le Teich, Audenge, Lanton and Arès, designated patrolled swimming areas, ideal when the tide is low!
Each day, a market awaits you in one of our towns!
Shopping is also part of a true holiday, take advantage of this free time to enjoy an ice cream at the foot of one of our jetties: Arcachon, Le Moulleau, Cap Ferret or Andernos-les-Bains with its lively town center and shops open all year long. Don't miss the pier promenade, the longest in France!
Have fun in our attraction and theme parks
Play around at one of our theme parks.
- Gujan-Mestras Bassin des Loisirs (Kid Parc, Aqualand, Bassin Aventures, La Coccinelle, Max’Golf, Bowling, Laser Lander)
- Zoo de La Teste de Buch
- Escalad'Parc in Andernos-les-Bains
- Parc de Loisirs du Four in Lège-Cap Ferret
- Karting, Paintball and Big'A Jump Tramploine Park in Biganos
- City Beach in La Teste de Buch
- T en Leyre, Aquapark 33 and Lakecity in Mios.
Get away for the day: on an island of fine sand and lagoon colours: The Banc d'Arguin (Arguin Bank) "Nature Reserve"
Play Robinson Crusoe under the watchful care of the SEPANSO nature protection society (weekends in June and September and every day in July-August with the UBA boats). Except from a marked out protection perimeter (highly protected ornithological area), the Reserve has free access all year round. Thank you for helping us taking care of this nature area!
Or get off the beaten path with a nature walk
- In the heart of the Teste de Buch salt marshes, the Domaine de Fleury in Le Teich, in the Domaines de Certes-Graveyron in Audenge and Lanton, in Saint-Brice-Les-Quinconces in Andernos and Arès, the Reservoirs of Piraillan in Lège-Cap Ferret, in the Réserve des Prés Salés (salt marsh reserves) of Arès and Lège.
- Crab fishing on the port in Audenge in the heart of the Bassin, and from the beach pier in Andernos.